Les Roches Switzerland hotel management school being fulfilled

Why being fulfilled is the most important part of any internship

on September 15 | in Academic Life Student life | by Natasha Montagu | with No Comments

How many of you have sweated blood during your internships?  Student blogger Natasha from the BBA program in International Hotel Management tells us why it’s ok.

After finishing my first 6-month internship and through all the blood, sweat and tears (very dramatic!) I can say without a shadow of doubt that it was the best learning experience that I’ve had to date.

To be brutally honest I couldn’t imagine how my internship was going to turn out. All interns put themselves out into the big, wide, working world; that can be very daunting especially if you come from a sheltered background.

You have to hold down a job, organise yourself so that you arrive on time every day or preferably 10 minutes early to your shift and after however many hours you spend working you go home, make yourself something to eat and crash out, starting the same thing again the next day. Sounds like real life.

Les Roches International School of Hotel Management Switzerland internship in LondonLondon is a vibrant city, pulsing with life, history and secret gems waiting to be discovered. I had the privilege of working the first half of my internship as a Food & Beverage intern at an iconic 5-star British hotel and the second half as a Sales & Marketing intern at a luxury boutique hotel also in London. Both wildly different experiences at very different establishments.

So why is being fulfilled the most important part of your internship (in my opinion, of course!)? Being fulfilled to me means one of several things. First, being happy with yourself. For me being happy means that at the end of service and at the end of the day I can honestly say that I have done my hardest and worked to the best of my ability.

Second, to me, being fulfilled is when I am learning. Through on the job training or learning-as-you-go, knowledge is power and the key to unlocking doors in your future. Lessons might not be so obvious so it is vital to constantly keep your eyes and ears open. The power of observation cannot be understated.

Lastly, I feel fulfilled with positive feedback. Who doesn’t? Positive recognition will come naturally when the first two steps have been accomplished.

So ask yourself these questions when on your internship, what do I have to do to make sure I am happy with myself? And where can I find my next learning opportunity?

Good luck!