Les Roches Student Wins Hyatt Student Award 2013

on December 12 | in Academic Life Student life | by Les Roches | with No Comments

Congratulations to Amalia Vernicos, current Les Roches MBA student of Hospitality Management with Marketing. Amalia won the ‘Coup de Coeur’ prize at the prestigious Hyatt Student Prize event in December 2013, hosted by Hyatt Hotels & Resorts.

Les Roches Hotel Management School top MBA student wins Hyatt Hotel Student Award

Amalia Vernicos at the Hyatt Student Awards 2013, with Dr Dimitrios Diamantis (l) and French TV presenter, Nikos Aliagas (r)

A total of 19 international schools that specialize in Hospitality Management were invited to enter the competition.

The nominees were selected by their peers and faculty from their hotel management schools and were tasked with writing several essays and conceptualizing a creative video which illustrated their passion for the hospitality industry.

The jury was comprised of renowned television personalities and top names in the entertainment business, the arts and literature. Members included representatives from Google, Hyatt, Mont Blanc, and Warner Bros. Entertainment France.

Of the process, Amalia writes:

“When my teacher and MBA Director informed me that Les Roches had chosen me to represent the school for the Hyatt Student Prize, I felt thrilled and humbled, yet nervous at the same time.”

“At Les Roches International School of Hotel Management we are trained to work with others and accept challenges.”

“I was ready to accept this challenge due to my past experiences, as well as the immense support I received from the Les Roches community. In the short period of time that I had to prepare, every classmate, teacher and alumni at Les Roches encouraged me.”

The primary objective of the Hyatt Student Award is to recognize the most talented students of the international hospitality industry. Whilst we celebrate Amalia’s success, we celebrate also the success of all our MBA students and faculty.

Amalia adds: ‘The Hyatt Student Prize is a way to represent my school and my classmates. Les Roches has a pedigree I am proud to represent, and winning the Hyatt Student Prize would be a way to give back to a school that has influenced me and helped me advance in just one year.”

In her presentation Amalia, a Greek national, wrote: “In Greek, the word hospitality comes from the word phílos (friend) and xenia (stranger). For Greeks, hospitality is about making that “stranger” feel more than welcome by generously bestowing guest-friendship and providing genuine hospitality.”

Starting in January, Amalia will be working as the re-branding project coordinator at the Connaught Hotel in London. We wish her well, and are sure that her Greek spirit of hospitality will make her an important and successful asset to the Connaught.