My life as an MBA student in Les Roches

on May 15 | in Academic Life Student life | by Jezebel Khoo Yin Xue | with No Comments

Jezebel joined the MBA program in January 2015 and writes about her experience of learning in an international environment and tackling the issue of work-life balance that all professionals, at some point or other, have to deal with.

It has been three months since I joined the MBA program and in a blink of an eye, I will be completing the first semester. I would like to take this opportunity to share with everyone my personal experience in the programme and how much I am enjoying myself.

Having studied in Singapore for almost all my life, the experience I have here is really out of the ordinary. Stepping into a class of 22 students, with more than 10 nationalities is really a big change for me. I have classmates from all over the world – from Thailand to the USA.  This international exposure is important because the interaction it affords us will greatly contribute to our future careers in a hospitality industry that is international by nature. I have the chance to learn about the different cultures of my classmates and how different we can be in our opinions, ideas and working practices. My most important take-home lesson so far, is how to overcome cultural business differences and work together as a team.

hospitality management MBA Switzerland study program master’s

Before coming here, I was interested in working in Events and Conventions after graduation. However, with increased exposure to different ideas, I see that many different options are available to me. The school organizes many company presentations and workshops to help with our career choice. To date, I have attended the Accor, Hilton, Shangri La, Bloomberg and MGM company presentations. Personally, I liked the Accor presentation the most because I feel that the values of the company and its working ethos fits in with my own values. Attending the company presentations gave me more ideas about what I can expect post graduation and will give me a focus point for my upcoming discussions with my dedicated career counsellor in the Career Development Industry Placement team.

Projects and assignments make up the main bulk of my work in the school. The programme is very focused on projects and assignments, which requires a substantial amount of research. On certain days, I feel that one day is not enough to complete all my projects, but together with my classmates, I am sure we will manage it! One of the most valuable assets I gained at Les Roches friendship. The friends I have made here, I am sure, will last a lifetime.

Besides academics, the school organizes many school trips over the weekend, which students sign up to attend. One of the school trips I went on was the culinary visit to Paul Bocuse’s restaurant. It was my first time to visit a three Michelin-starred restaurant. I am very glad indeed that I signed up for this trip – the food was awesome and it was really a good experience for the participants.

The next event I have signed up for is the cultural night and I am certainty looking forward to it! I believe that it is important to find a balance between work and leisure.

And that being said, I would like to sign off with this picture I took last weekend while trying to de-stress near the pool; I hope it puts a smile on your face.