One Week to an Exciting New Start and a Challenge in Travelling Light!

on June 23 | in Academic Life | by Christina Seow | with No Comments

package-christinaIf you asked me how 2013 would unfold, never would I guess that I would be fulfilling one of my dreams of studying hospitality management in Switzerland. As my work visa in Australia came to an end, I had to consider alternative options. In the last week of April, I received an email newsletter from Les Roches stating that applications were still opened for the August intake.

I quickly got in touch with a representative to ask about the application process and she promptly responded by a phone call and email with further information. Thankfully, I was able to put through an application within 2 weeks and am now looking forward to be part of the Postgraduate Higher Diploma cohort in one week!

In preparing for school, one of my greatest concerns is being able to pack all that is necessary within the weight limit stipulated by the airlines. Having recently moved from Sydney to Melbourne back to my brother’s place, the picture shows the Tetris skills needed to fit all my luggage onto a trolley. While I have moved cities quite frequently while as a student, I am still not an expert in the area of ‘travelling light’. The Facebook page for Les Roches new students have been extremely helpful as new students discuss the airline options and which provides the most luggage allowance. To date, we found that FinnAir has the option for passengers to check-in 2 luggages at 23kg each on an economy pro ticket. However, I have booked onto an airline that only has a 30kg check-in allowance. I see it as a good challenge, especially since it is a good way to reduce the clutter that I have gathered over the years. Between selling and donating away my items, I truly feel that it is the beginning of a new chapter in life.

Please excuse me while I return to packing. I will update again in a few weeks to share my first impressions upon arriving on campus.