Filippa Hertzman

on July 31 | in | | with No Comments

Filippa-lrb-1

My name is Filippa Hertzman and I’m a 24 year old globe trotter from the south of Sweden  starting at Les Roches Switzerland in January 2011. I will transfer directly to the semester 5 of my Bachelor. For as long as I can remember I have been fascinated by hotels; these magical places where people sleep on fluffy pillows with chocolates on top, wake up and go to large scrumptious all-you-can-eat buffets, get new towels and made up rooms every day, and 24 hour assistance only by pressing a button.

I have never regretted my chosen career path; in fact, it’s probably one of the best choices I’ve made in my life so far. What’s most thrilling about working in the hospitality industry is the fact that you’ll have no idea of how the day will turn out –every day will be full of surprises.

When I graduated from high school I still hadn’t figured out what to “be when I grow up”, so I went on a three-month backpacking trip with my best and oldest friend to Australia and Asia (no need to mention we had the time of our life right?).

Filippa-lrb-2

When I came back I started working at a supermarket in Sweden, and after a few months I had saved enough money to move all the way to the home of the sheep, or in other words, Palmerston North, New Zealand, where I found a job as a waitress and ended up living for seven months. The following year I moved across the pond to Melbourne, Australia and enrolled at RMIT’s fashion merchandising course. I love clothes and fashion; always have, and naturally I thought that was what I was destined to work with.

Filippa-lrb-3-parisAfter five months I realised that this was not for me, and moved back home to continue working at the supermarket. I earned quite a lot and still lived at home but I was starting to get restless, and knew that I couldn’t stay for much longer. My only ticket to the “real” world was through education. Period. I was accepted to a business school in Sweden but changed my mind at the last minute –it just didn’t feel right. Instead, I moved to the city of lights and the home of the croissants – Paris, and when I wasn’t partying on Champs Elysees or vintage shopping in Le Marais I worked as a babysitter for two French boys.

During my first couple of weeks I picked up a book I had read a few years back in Oz called “Hotel Babylon” about a receptionist’s 24 hours in a luxury London hotel. I finished it the following week and as I put it down it was finally clear to me –I’m going to work in hotels! I started writing the application letter to Les Roches Marbella and a month or so later I got a reply that I had been accepted.

Filippa-lrb-4

I was beyond excited. In January 2010, I started my first day as an HOI student at Les Roches Marbella, in June I went on my first internship as a front office agent and concierge assistant at a five star hotel in Sweden, returned to Marbella in January 2011 for HOII, and my latest internship has been in PR & Marketing at a four star hotel in Abu Dhabi.

I thought it was time for me to meet new people and hit the slopes (and of course enjoy the après ski), so I decided to leave the Marbella campus and move back to Switzerland for my third year. Yes, back. I lived in Basel for two years during my early teens, but the difference this time is that the people will be saying bonjour instead of gruetzi… and that I’m a little older and wiser too, of course!

« »