Pitching to investors: The checklist for success

on March 1 | in Alumni Entrepreneurship Hospitality Industry Non classé | by Guest Authors | with No Comments

Pitching for investors is such a thrilling and exciting experience. Dazzling a friend you haven’t seen for a while is fairly easy, but convincing an investor to financially contribute to your company is another thing.

I define pitching as a smartly picked set of words said in such an eloquence that engages the minds and drops the quids. Therefore, I came up with 5 rules to rock that pitch at the right amount of time and with the right set of words.

1. Background knowledge is key

Needless to say that the amount of knowledge we can retrieve from the internet is just beyond imagination, and as a bonus, many people share content at no cost. Therefore, selecting content to look after is key. In order to be consistent in your presentation, you have to support every fact with a proof. That way, investors are looking at facts rather than simple assumptions.

2. You call it writing content, I call it carving content

Investors are willing to fund your start-up and are ready to hear about your content, but there is a catch: it only depends on how convincing you were and how much time you’ve got. Therefore, I think that carving your content is key.

In order to deliver precise content, it should be straight to the point, supported by evidence, and unique. What you don’t want is any sentence that is not directly or indirectly linked to your content. So it should be relatable, personal, but well structured.

3. Your presentation is 10 slides long, and it is flawless

I personally made my slides on Keynote, and I tried making it simple and comprehensive. The 10 slide pitch by Guy Kawasaki provides with all the required information that will not only impress but inform the investors.

10 slides you need in a pitch

4. Put yourself in the pitching situation at all times

Investors come in different backgrounds, so your main aim is to be ready to pitch for any kind of investor. Here is how to solve it: The Six Thinking Hats.

The six thinking hats is a great concept created by Eduard De Bono that displays the six types of people who may encounter your path. Therefore, it is your job to know them all and to prepare the right content that will please their thinking hat. You can thank me later.

6 thinking hats

Another way to put yourself in the pitching situation is to present the pitch to your friends and colleagues. By only making your voice heard, you and your friends will be able to define the different flaws in the pitch.

5. Ask experts opinion

I think that getting feedback from people who have succeeded in pitching can give you insights on what works best and what to avoid.

A few days before my pitch at AngelCube’s screening session, I met Julian Belvedere, co-founder of Panda Pay, he delightedly accepted to take a look at my pitch content and structure. As a result, I ended up changing content, and doing further preparation for Q&A time. My preparation even went to next level and I received the help of Stewart Bewley through Amplify. I would say Stewart is a public speaking expert, and through his Amplify Program, I would say I became more assertive and confident in conveying my ideas. Investors need to be completely wrapped around your idea, and Stewart was the right person to approach in these matters.

So these are the main tips that I have for you, and I hope it will help you achieving your goals. Let’s get pitching!

Article originally posted on LinkedIn Pulse

Written by Dimple Lalwani
Les Roches graduate 2012
CEO & Founder at Social Belly

You might also be interested in: