9 tips for hiking beginners Switzerland Les Roches International School of Hotel Management

9 hiking tips for beginners

on September 22 | in Student life | by Jezebel Khoo Yin Xue | with No Comments

Our very first summer in Bluche, and perhaps the last one for many of us who will be graduating in December. We were warned many times about how short the summer is over here. Hence, we decided to do something really challenging before the end of the season and do a hike to Col de la Roue. And the best of this plan is that it’s free and you get to bring back priceless memories with you 🙂

Our school location is a bit out of the ordinary because we are not close to the heart of a city center;  something that makes the experience of studying here quite unique for someone like me who came from the city. During my past eight months here, I have learnt to see and appreciate things from different perspectives, which is something considered really valuable as I prepare myself to move on to my next phase of life in a couple of months.

The hike was a test of my perseverance, strength and determination. Our starting point was Chapelle de Cretaz D’Asse and after just 10 minutes of hike, I felt already really exhausted and I was ready to give up anytime. But my MBA classmates, who of course I now call friends, were there to cheer me up constantly, which makes life really easier! We witnessed picturesque scenery along the way… and took the chance to take a selfie with the most iconic animal of Switzerland 🙂

Eventually after close to three hours of hike I am glad I made it to the 2800 meters, considering that it was my first hiking trip. In winter, this is also the place where people come to ski. I would say this is one of the proudest achievements of my time here in Les Roches.

And here’s my reward:

The views were simply stunning and gorgeous. I didn’t continue all the way to the top as I was really too drained to move on after taking a nice rest at 2800 metres. Most of my classmates went ahead to Trubelstock at 2998m and here’s their proudest moment:

Overall, it was one of my best weekends with these amazing people.

Here are some tips I would like share with someone who is planning to take a hike for the first time

1) Travel Light – I made a mistake of bringing a thick jacket in my backpack and ended up having backache half way into the hike.

2) Drink lots of water the day before and bring lots of water with you during the hike.

3) Prepare some fruits, energy bar, nuts to keep you moving.

4) Invest in a good pair of hiking shoes, it’s really important! No sneakers!

5) Wear a thick sock, I ended up having blisters and the pain lasted me a week.

6) Bring along a hiking stick.

7) Sun screen is a must; you don’t want to end up looking roasted the day after.

8) Cap is really useful as it gets really glaring up to the top.

9) Have a good night sleep the day before because you need all the energy you can to keep moving

and last but not least and the most important one,

9) A team of cheerleaders with you! And here’s mine:

Big thanks to all of them for making the trip possible and a memorable one!