hotel management college switzerland les roches blogger Marco Pelligrini Milano Expo 2015

A quick guide to the Milano Expo 2015 – Top picks

on July 7 | in Student life | by Marco Pellegrini | with No Comments

Have you visited the Milano Expo yet? BBA in hospitality management student Marco Pellegrini gives his top tips about what to see.

It was just a few days ago that I visited the Expo 2015 in Milano with my girlfriend from Vietnam. The memory of the visit and the wonders that we discovered brings a smile into my face. Being Italian I couldn’t miss it!

I will try to report the feelings but I guess that my words can’t fully capture the beauty and meaning of this melting pot of people and cultures in a relative small space.

Marco’s girlfriend in front of the Vietnamese pavilion

At 9.30 we were already outside the Expo security point for access and, surprisingly, not a word of Italian was spoken. Once again, just a few days after having finished the semester at Les Roches, I was again immersed in an incredible mix of cultures. Love it! 🙂

As soon we accessed the “Pavilion Zero” our journey inside the world of food started (the theme of this year Expo is ‘Feeding the Planet, Energy for Life’). A huge library representing the wisdom of Mother Nature followed by a visual illustration of every seed in the world welcomed us.

We also saw various examples of how mankind coexists with nature and the positive and negative effects that our actions, such as food waste, cause.

The Expo was a triumph of flavor and emotions, I can write pages about the majesty of Qatar’s pavilion or the unique technology of the Korean one.

Nevertheless UK, Indonesia, and Brazil stood up for the display of their cultural heritage in a very interactive way and their commitment to educate new generations of tourists and hoteliers to respect and embrace the real flavor of a location and preserve it, not only for us but for the future generations to come.

However, in spite of the dimensions, other smaller pavilion deeply impressed the imagination of the visitors, especially the Swiss one 😉 Here a group of designers reproduced Switzerland in a granite map characterized by the importance of the water for its various areas.

To conclude, I would like to end this little article about the Expo with one of my favorite quotes about it “Food is time and memory shared with others.”

The British pavilion – bees and innovation. (They have a great bar half way up the steel beehive where you can get excellent Pimms)

China’s pavilion – one of the biggest