les Roches bachelor degree international multicultural learning Vietnam cultural day Switzerland

A Vietnamese weekend in Switzerland

on April 4 | in Student life | by Marco Pellegrini | with No Comments

Student blogger Marco gets to taste a bit of Vietnam. In Geneva.

Since I started Les Roches two years ago, I never really understood the full meaning of the expression “the world is a village”.  It amazes me how a little, little country like Switzerland can be so global.

Just few days ago, I was invited by a friend of mine to a special national gathering for Vietnamese from all over Switzerland, for an incredible and amazing food and art contest close to Genève.

The Vietnamese spirit took over the event. What really impressed me was the food preparation; as a lover of international food I have been always attracted by this type of culinary tradition.

The picture doesn’t do justice to the amazing flavors

I especially like the art of preparing and blending flavors in dishes such as the typical Phö or Lau and the way they eat them.

In addition, the harmony in balancing the ancient traditions with modern-day lifestyle is a perfect example of how incredible the Vietnamese community is.

From the simplicity of the lotus, made with special paper, to the delicacy of the dances and the expressions of happiness and joy when sharing the pride of their own culture with others; everything makes a perfect balance.

Luckily, experiencing the cultural diversity every day at the school, makes me realize how rewarding and important it is for a future hospitality professional to understand and appreciate cultural differences.

Balance: the perfect ingredient of Vietnamese hospitality