Academic and Practical classes in Les Roches !!

on August 24 | in Student life | by Pamela Calvas | with 4 Comments

Classes have started and things are getting more serious now!! We have acquired all of our books and uniforms for the practical classes and all of the teachers have introduced their classes as well.

During the first weeks, it is important to get all sorts of information regarding the right class schedule, the meal times, the activities organized by the school and the formalities that have to be followed, so it gets easier to go along with everything that happens around the school.

It takes a bit of time, but it is better to get rapidly familiarized with the classrooms locations, the names of your teachers and classmates, and also the people you have to talk to if something comes up. I have to admit that sometimes you get a little lost because of the massive information, but all you have to do is ask! There are always people at the reception desk that can help you if you have any questions or if you need something like charging credit on your cell phone or if you need to know the location of a certain department.

Attached there are some pictures of some of the buildings around the school like the basketball court and the football field and also the building where I live, Peters Farm 2.

footballbasketball_web

petersfarm_web

The highlight of this last week has definitely been the practical lessons! As PGD students, we have practical lessons only once a week either in kitchen or in service so we have to make the best out of it, taking advantage of the time we get to be in these real situations where we learn so much. This is more intensive in other programs. In our case, this is how it works: for example my group was first divided into Service and Kitchen to serve and cook in “A la Carte” restaurant of the school and every Wednesday we attend classes about either service or how to cook following the standards of this type of restaurant.

I was assigned to be in the kitchen first and we all had to be dressed with the proper uniform and ready to start with the instructions.  Before I knew it, I was already preparing the ingredients for the orders that we were going to receive later on that day, from real guests! We get orders from students and members of the faculty at the school who are eating there.

Since we are in a real kitchen of a restaurant of this standard, we are supposed to serve nice dishes anyway, so we really have to do our best. The Chef and his assistant are great and also very patient because a lot of people do not know how to cook at all!  The time really flies as you are working in a real kitchen and when you finish it is unbelievable how much you have learned in only one day!

Attached are a few pictures of my group in the A la Carte kitchen in the cold starters and the desserts sections.

cooking3_web

cooking1_web

cooking2_web

It is amazing how much we learn during all the classes and I am impressed with this methodology because you learn as you practice and the performance counts a lot in this industry. I am very excited about the future classes and to see how my knowledge progresses!

4 Responses

1. David Wood says:

You have a very positive attitude which will serve you well in the hospitality industry. Yes for me Les Roches should stress the practical where ever possible and take more opportunities to use practice. In my experience no other school I have visited takes this approach – but some may say I am biased a bit!

2. nursing schools says:

this post is very usefull thx!

• Nane says:

I am sorry to be negative, but relax ill rlenay say for sure you will change your mind..theres still lots of time. You may feel motivated now before high school but maybe you change?Of course if you want to achieve something set your mind to your goal but dont get too carried away. All famous people got that way by staying focused i was the same as you and changed completely thats why i am saying this.(also try not to tell your dream and exact plans to everyone around you later when you want to be open and maybe change how you feel they will carry on and force you into your old dreams) Yea good luck!

3. Exercise Balls says:

Wow this is a great resource.. I’m enjoying it.. good article