Arriving to Les Roches !!

on July 30 | in Student life | by Pamela Calvas | with 18 Comments

plane-take-off

I have arrived to Les Roches Campus at last!

It is great to be here already and I could not be happier. Once you get to the area, you have the real feeling of being in Switzerland. I am used to living in a valley, surrounded by mountains in Ecuador, but the scenery here is breathtaking…  I don’t know where to start to tell you all about it.
Frankly, my flight over here was a little bit of a nightmare because my flight was already delayed when I left Ecuador so I knew I was going to have a delay in my connection flight from Madrid to Geneva and I was really nervous.  Once I finally landed in Madrid, I had to literally run with my bags from one terminal to the other terminal, and waiting for customs took so long. Finally, when I got to the check in point, I knew they had probably closed the flight to Geneve because I was too late and I had no hopes to get on another flight on the same day.

But there I was, only 5 minutes before my flight was supposed to leave for Genève and I thought, what do I have to lose, I will ask anyways, maybe this one is also delayed… and it was!!!  They said that it had been delayed for an hour or so because of a lost bag! I asked if they could help me checking in, and so they did. The flight went smoothly and in Genève I was able to find my Danish family who had been waiting for me at the airport.

After all of the waiting and the running, I could not believe that I had made it in spite of the circumstances, I was really lucky. It is a shame that I was in such a hurry all the time that I could not take any pictures of Genève to share with you, but it is a beautiful city from what I could see.  The very next day I had a bad jet lag but we drove early in the morning so that my sister could do the proper check-in at Les Roches.

montanaOnce you get into the canton of Valais the views are impressive, for those who have not been here before, you will only understand me when you see it for yourselves. Everything is so neat and it really looks like the pictures that we see on the internet. Right now there are a lot of green areas and tons of flowers all around the Bluche village and Les Roches campus.

les-rochesAt the main building, everyone seemed so happy to welcome new students and all the check-in procedures were easy to follow thanks to the assistance of the staff. There were a lot of new students too. My sister and I were assigned a room together and we really like it, for what we have seen all of the accommodations are neat and everyone seems quite happy. Once you get to Les Roches, you feel surrounded by people from all over the world,  people from Asia, Europe, South America, and when you are walking around campus you see everyone talking to each other and it is, in fact, like they were family.

Since I have not started with my PGD program yet, I have had time to explore the region a little. It is indeed like they mention in the brochures and the websites, the transportation here is really easy and they try to help you in every way possible.

Some advice for the new comers next week, try to have all of the documentation ready for the check in, so that it goes smoothly and then you won’t feel so tired at the end of your first day.

Also, all the IT information that they request for your computer should be followed, like the software in English and if you have a MAC computer, make sure the IT staff can have access to Windows in it, otherwise you will have to install a Windows software and it will take more time for them to get your computer ready. So yes, read through all of the requirements.

The weather has been nice most of the time although it has rained a bit, but everybody says that it is not normal at this time of the year, but the views when the sun goes down are amazing as you can see in some of these pictures.

lesroches2

I am sure that all of you who have not arrived yet are looking forward to be here and to study in this institute, and you should be. All of the staff have been very helpful with us and always trying to make you feel welcome. I am really looking forward to meeting the rest of the coming students and my future classmates. All this experience has been so exciting already for the first few days that I cannot wait to start with the classes and the practical learning. I hope you all are having a great start here in the school and for those who have not arrived yet, hope you have a better flight than I did!

See you soon in Les Roches!

18 Responses

1. Sam says:

Wish you a very pleasant stay in Les Roches!

• Pamela says:

Thank you Sam! I really am looking forward to start my classes with the rest of the PGD students! Are you or were you a student in Les Roches too?

2. Ali says:

Great Pamel…ur so lucky to be there..thats one of my wishes…lets be in touch and talk more about Les Roches…
    thats my face book account :: Alikhoshniat
    add me plz if you have face book account..I’ll be glad..

• Pamela says:

Hi Ali,
      Thanks for following up this blog, it is the first time that I am writing one so I hope to keep it interesting and up to date for everyone. I will add you on facebook so you can check out even more pictures of the campus and more. Take care and hopefully we will see you in campus sooner than later..

3. peter says:

Was wonderful seeing some of your pictures. I landed in Les Roches and bluche for the first time 22 years ago from Hong Kong. We were in shorts and bluche was a chilly 6c. Yes it was july 4th and we were still housed in the old building at school after the fire. We only moved into the new building in our 2nd year. Enjoy the memories. I made some wonderful friends at Les Roches and a lot of us are still in touch 22 years later. Les Roches is not just a school but a way of life and some of the life lessons I learned there will be with me for years to come.
    Good luck
    Peter Mathias
    Summer batch 1988

4. Joshua says:

Esta Chica!!!

Oye Pame, estoy muy feliz que has llegado in Suisse sin demasiados problemas… y que suerte tienes para vivir alla!!! That should have given you enough to laugh about for at least a few minutes… will write you a real email soon

un besito

Joshua

• Pamela says:

Haha… Joshua… It did make me laugh, but it was because I thought of you this morning…now I see you know about the school I am attending, it is really great.
      PS: u always say you will write soon and you never do :P haha. Take care

5. Mahesh Ramakrishnan says:

Hi, Iam old student of Les Roches, I studied in summer batch in the year 1990 – 91. I miss my friends, Sonam, Margaret, Gloria, Karen, etc., Guys plz find them for me.

6. My Blog Title says:

I saw this really good post today….

7. Lawana Keech says:

I dont know what to say. This blog is fantastic. Thats not really a really huge statement, but its all I could come up with after reading this. You know so much about this subject. So much so that you made me want to learn more about it. Your blog is my stepping stone, my friend. Thanks for the heads up on this subject.

8. Gerald Xavier says:

Hi Pam,

Reading your blog brought me back in time to the year 1982. The first time I arrived at Les Roches in winter, everything was so new and I remember Mr. Clivaz me was there to welcome us, as we stepped off the bus everybody was falling down because of the ice and we Malaysians didn’t have the proper shoes including me. Those days because the school was still new we only had about 300 students in total. We had great teachers. Feels good to remember those days, Thanks

Gerald Xavier
    Winter Batch 1982

9. Rahael Alemayehu says:

Great blog Pamela! Very interesting.

10. Larry Marler says:

Pamela,

Linda and I are so proud of you. We miss your smiling face in Cuenca. Is your course going to be 1 year, or are you going to be able to take the Management and Leadership MBA also? I know it is very hard for you, but I also have confidence in your ability to master the subject.

Cuenca is just as beautiful as ever. Yes, the gringos are still coming. We are still planning to go to Buenos Aires in February. Will try to take plenty of pictures to show you.

Pamela, we love you very much and if there is anything I can do for you, please email me and let me know.

I am teaching 11 hours this semester. It takes up too much of my time because of the additional work I must do at home in preparation, so this will be my last semester. I am teaching Tourism: English, Level 7 and 2 classes of Business English.

Linda and I want to do some traveling, so I need to free up my time in order to do so.

We love you.

Larry and Linda

11. Pamela says:

Larry and Linda,

I am glad everything is going well with you, I miss talking to you and hope you can see the other blogs that I have recently posted. Will write you soon
    Regards,
    Pamela

12. Flight Attendant says:

Never heard of Les Roches before reading this blog post, now I want to visit!

13. Amit Naik says:

Hello Pamela,
    I am a student from India. I’ll be completing my graduation next year. I wish to change my career to hotel management after my graduation. I really love the hotel industry and also love the way it works. Really confused as in what to do (do something in which i have done my graduation or change to hotel management). Have many questions about the hotel industry which are unanswered. May i get a little help from you (you being a student of Les Roches).
    Found your blog really useful and motivating. :)
    -Amit Naik.
    INDIA.

14. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to
    say that I’ve truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts.
    In any case I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you
    write again very soon!

Add Comment Register