Craft based learning

on May 21 | in Student life | by Tristan Bland | with No Comments

Hello everyone, I hope you are all well! I’m great apart from I had a slight accident last weekend playing rugby and managed to dislocate my shoulder! On another topic, I am going to talk a little bit about the Craft Based Learning (CBL) side of my BBA course. CBL takes up half of the first two on-campus semesters, during which you have the service side and the kitchen side.

Service practice

Upon arrival at Les Roches you will be supplied with your service uniform so that you look the part. Depending on what rotation you are on you will start in one of four student-run restaurants based all around the campus. Two of these are fast service restaurants, the “Market Place” is larger and more popular and there is a small fine dining restaurant called the “A La Carte”.

During my first year I really enjoyed what each different restaurant had to throw at me. I walked into the CBL course with an open mind, which was good because my first week was on breakfast duty, which meant early starts and walking to class in the snow. I had only been on campus for a short time as I started in October 2011, but this was not a problem as my classmates were amazing! They welcomed me straight away and taught me everything that they had already learnt in their previous 3 months. The teachers were also just as supportive and they taught me the different service styles and standards that I needed to adhere too.

Here is a photo of my friend Katrina and I in our chef whites. We are sporting red noses for charity.

Experiencing the real world

During my time in London working at the prestigious Landmark Hotel, I found myself frequently looking back on my time in CBL at Les Roches and there were always major similarities between what I had been taught and what I had to do at the hotel. This is due to the fact that the teachers here have all come from the industry and know exactly what it is like to work in restaurants. The course is constantly changing as a result of internship feedback and previous teacher knowledge, which I think is one of the great assets that Les Roches has to offer!

Kitchen practice

The second semester on campus is all about the kitchen. This is, in my opinion, the best semester. I am currently just over half way through this course and have loved every minute of it! I have already completed a stint working in the pastry kitchen where we prepared everything from a chocolate mousse to a Paris Breast. I must admit, it was incredibly hard not to try everything as all the products looked amazing! I then moved on to working in the two fast service restaurants, which was totally different type of cooking and a completely new style of preparation. I am now in the main kitchen, preparing food for the Market Place, which is the largest and most popular restaurant on campus. I am really looking forward to working in the A La Carte restaurant next as I have heard a lot of good stories about it and that we prepare some incredible food.