My first internship experience: Harbour Grand Hong Kong

on June 11 | in Student life | by Arkadiya Tertychnaya | with 5 Comments

In this post I would like to share the most interesting points of my first internship, giving a brief overview of my responsibilities and trainings. To start with, here are some facts about the hotel I was working in:

General information:

• Harbour Grand is a luxury 5 star hotel
  • Conveniently located just in the heart of Hong Kong Island
  • Each of its 828 rooms presents a spectacular view of the well-known Victoria Harbour

Some of the facilities:

• Fitness center & 27-metres outdoor swimming pool
  • Spa & massage center
  • Business center
  • Harbour Club Lounge
  • Le 188’ Restaurant & Lounge – European cuisine
  • Kwan Cheuk Heen – Chinese cuisine
  • Nagomi – Japanese cuisine

So what about internship opportunities?

Like a lot of hotels do, Harbour Grand Hong Kong offers a wide range of internship opportunities in both Front Office and Food and Beverage Departments. But the most interesting possibility for interns is a cross training which gives them a unique chance of trying themselves in a lot of different positions. It is also an opportunity to gain broad experience of luxury hospitality.

Why did I decide to do cross-training?
I was applying for both departments in order to discover the whole picture of the hotel’s functioning and to get to understand better what direction to go in future. Below I presented all the positions I held along with description of my responsibilities:

• Front Desk ambassador: assisted guests upon check-in and check-out, answered telephone calls, prepared registration cards for the following day, collected guests’ questionnaire;
  • Guest Services ambassador: met and assisted VIPs, made reports, was dealing with guests’ complains, checked if show-rooms and rooms for VIPs are upon the standard, analyzed guests’ questionnaire, was dealing with mails;
  • Concierge ambassador: assisted guests with their luggage; was dealing with parcels, post cards and letters sending, provided guests with all the requested information about the city and the hotel’s facilities, left messages to the guests;
  • Fitness center ambassador: assisted guests with the sport equipment, gave instructions about correct usage of sauna, swimming pool and steam bath;
  • Harbour Club ambassador: met guests of Harbour Club at the reception desk, balancing the needs of all customers in any situation, talked to guests and assisted them in the Harbour Club Lounge;
  • Kitchen cook: learnt the basics of fine dining kitchen while assisting cooks with ordinary tasks;
  • Pastry cook: learnt the basics of pastry while preparing simple recipes, participated in decorations of the desserts.

Finally, what did it bring to me?

From my point of view, cross training in Harbour Grand Hong Kong was an amazing opportunity for me to try a lot of positions in different departments and sections, so I obtained wide professional experience and understood which sections would be the most suitable for me in future career. Also the hotel was creating a perfect environment for gaining international and personal experience, as soon as there were a lot of people from all over the world coming to Harbour Grand Hong Kong as guests, employees and trainees.

For any additional information about this hotel, please visit its website:

5 Responses

1. parthivi kumari says:

congratulations!! 🙂

• birendra says:

i am looking internship in honk Kong in same hotel if you will guide its very help full for me
      birendra kandel
      Delhi
      India

• Les Roches says:

Hello Birendra, if you are a Les Roches student, I will suggest you to go to the CDIP office. They will be able to help you out with your application 🙂

2. mahmoud says:

Hello. My name is Mahmoud Al Zayyat. I am a student in the Royal Academy of Culinary (affiliated by Les Roches Switzerland) and I would like to apply for an internship in your hotel beginning from my next trimester which starts from January till mid-April and it is part of my study program. I acquired the skill of service and cooking methods along with the knowledge of kitchen terminology. I can provide you with my CV or resume if you reply. I would like to gain more experience in your hotel and have a great experience.