One month to go! …

on December 21 | in Student life | by Samantha Parkyn | with 2 Comments

January is fast approaching and with each day that passes I am getting more and more excited about the arrival on campus – as I’m sure everyone who’s starting in January is!

Along with my emotions as well as the normal excitement, anticipation and a few nerves, have also been mixed with panic. Wondering and stressing about whether I would actually be ready to start school, as I am still recovering from a broken ankle.

This means that my planning and preparations for my arrival on campus at Les Roches have been slightly different to what I originally had in mind. Instead of getting things ready and organized as I would have liked, I have had to focus on learning how to walk again after my accident. But there you go, that’s life, and luckily for me I have been relieved of some of the stress and panic, as my recovery is going well, and I can now start preparing as I would have liked!

There is a little Christmas tradition that myself and my fellow horse crazy friends do every year at the beginning of December. This is to attend the “Concours Hippique International de Geneve” (International Horse Jumping Competition) which is held every year in Geneva’s huge exposition centre – Palexpo.

The event is held over four days, and spectators are able to see some of the World’s top show jumping stars (riders and horses) compete in numerous competitions, all of which get the crowds on their feet cheering for their nation – mainly the home nation of Switzerland. As well as providing entertainment and incredible demonstrations of riding – the event always proves to be a good place to indulge in a spot of horsey retail therapy!

My Christmas holiday plans this year involve a family trip to Dubai! It will be my first time in Dubai, another thing that I am excited about. Although there is still a tiny bit of stress wondering if I will have to be on crutches to go through the airport.. Doesn’t sound like much fun!

This year, my family and I will be “ringing in the New Year” at a concert of a rather well known band – ‘Coldplay’. This should prove to be a big celebration and an excellent way to start off the New Year, a year already filled with exciting prospects and new adventures, a year that couldn’t come sooner really!

So hopefully I will return from holiday nice and relaxed in order to start my final hectic week of shopping and organizing prior to arrival at Les Roches!

I have been keeping a close eye on the amount of snow that has been falling in Crans Montana, it looks great up there for skiing! Which I have to admit, is slightly frustrating for me, as I personally won’t be able to ski this season. However, I am really looking forward to being back up in a ‘mountain village environment’ during the winter season and I am super excited about the men’s alpine world cup skiing that is being held in Crans Montana in February! I’m really hoping (and I know I’m not alone in saying this) that I can volunteer to help out with the event!

I am thoroughly looking forward to arriving on campus and starting this new chapter in my life. I have a feeling that this last month is going to fly by, which is a good thing! I can’t wait to meet you all, but until then, season’s greetings and happy holidays!

See you in the New Year!!

2 Responses

1. Anthony S. says:

Christmas is my favorite holiday. It’s not scary like Halloween and I think it has a better message than other holidays that are basically about getting trashed.

2. Verbier Kev says:

So how is life on Campus now?