The best things about my first week at Les Roches

on September 16 | in Student life | by Mikhail Merican | with No Comments

Being a student means many things. But only a few can experience what it means to be a Les Roches student. To be a part of this chosen few means something very special and very exclusive. I am one of those few.

Upon arriving here in Les Roches, it was a roller coaster of mixed emotions. Excitement, courage, confidence, nervousness. These were the emotions I had when I laid eyes on the mountains and lakes of the canton of Valais, through the view of that bus from Geneva….as I am sure everyone else did too.

Malaysian student first week at Les Roches International School of Hotel Management Switzerland

Me with my dad, graduated in 1988.

With Gisele Berard-Poggio, language instructor since 1983!

What made it even more special was that my father was with me for my send off in Bluche, and he even stayed for a week. Before I even entered the prestigious doors of Les Roches, I quickly noticed how diverse the students were. Apart from the handful of Malaysians I was arriving with, I was so excited to meet new people from different cultures. And this was what my dad said to me over a glass of local wine at Petit Paradis, the true way of life of Les Roches.

It was also a pleasure to meet 3 special people who taught my dad back in 1988 and are still teaching and sharing their love for what they do best today.

Over the past 5 weeks here in Bluche, I never thought I would be so immersed in cultures and traditions. Not to mention languages, plenty of languages! During the introduction week I was mostly around my Malaysian brothers and sisters, including my roommate and best friend who is also from Malaysia. However, I knew that it wouldn’t be long before I met someone from somewhere on the other side of the world. And this is what I emphasised to my fellow Malaysians: “Let’s meet the world! They’re here living and breathing in front of us. Les Roches is the door to the future leaders of the world.”

The Malaysian crew.

Class S2C. Well, this was the class I was placed in. Feeling excited,

I browsed through the names on the list handed to us. Knowing a few of them would be Chinese, South American, Thai, I was feeling slightly overwhelmed because I didn’t know, with such a diversity, if we would all click as a class.

Then it dawned on me during dinner at the famous Market Place, the seniors. Almost every table was filled with a group of four from different parts of the globe. So, what was there to fear?

Week one. I am pretty blessed to have such an amazing class and of course classmates. So many different characters and all unique and funny in their own ways. So yes, we truly clicked. And for the first time in my life, I met someone from Sweden! A place where I have always dreamed of going. Viking we call him, after five weeks. Nils is his real name. I never thought I would have made such strong friendships with now new friends from Mexico, Sweden, Belgium, Lebanon and many more countries.

Furthermore, the football pitch was truly a great place to be. So much so, that me and my newly found Mexicano, Hared, play and train with the Les Roches team! It is such a great blessing to be a part of this way of life. The Les Roches life. Not much has changed according to my old man, just plenty more opportunities.

And truly this is just the beginning for us, our own little Les Roches family.