Traveling in Switzerland

on September 24 | in Student life | by Pamela Calvas | with 18 Comments

Before coming to Les Roches, I had heard a lot about all of the advantages of living and studying in Switzerland.  Its geographical central position and the well-developed transportation system make Switzerland very accessible for everyone who wants to travel both within the country and to other European cities.

I have mentioned several times before about the beauty of the area where the school is, but my first trip out of Valais to a big city was really amazing. First of all, I had to start by visiting somewhere important in Switzerland that I had cherished for a long time…  Zurich!  I had heard so much about the city and had actually met so many people from there in the past that I could not believe it when I actually got there.

From Les Roches in Bluche, it only takes approximately 2 hours to get to Zurich by train if the times you pick have precise connections, and in fact most of them do. This is something that I need to highlight because the organization makes it so easy to travel by train, also the school highly recommends in the beginning of the semester that  every student gets either a half price card or/and an “after 7” card. Accordingly, these cards allow students to pay half-price fares in all the funicular, train and bus transportation, and the advantage of having the “after 7 card” is that you don’t pay anything for any rides taken after 7pm at night! This makes the travelling a lot cheaper, no matter where you go within La Suisse.

Although the city of Bern is the capital, Zurich is the largest and it is also recognized for having one of the world’s largest financial centers.

When my sister and I got there, the weather was amazing.  We were able to take a walk along the main station street, “Bahnhofstrasse” and visit several stores.  One of which I loved because it has the best Swiss handmade chocolate!

The old town in Zurich is so charming, lots of beautiful architecture, several churches and their cobblestoned, car-free walking streets add a pleasant touch to this part of the city.

There is a main river that sort of divides the city and its bridges in between are wonderful with very interesting buildings and houses on each side.  Also different brasseries and restaurants with international food can be found throughout the entire city, and you can go by foot everywhere.

Also, here the transportation within the city is mainly by trams that drive around all over and are quite regular too. Thanks to these trams, you can get from one place to another in almost no time.  One part that you shouldn’t miss is of course the Zurich lake, it is pretty large and people get together here for swimming when there is good weather or taking long walks along the lake.

During the weekend that we were there we really felt like we needed more time to see everything else,  and we cant wait to come back! I look forward to the rest of cities in Switzerland, after this experience it will just get easier to travel next time!

18 Responses

1. kanghee han says:

heyy im going to LR for the oct intake so… nxt week pretty much !
    but im wondering a few things…
    im arriving very early.. so i have to buy a phone before hand and i was wondering: what phone company should i use ?
    well which is most….used among students there ?
    thank you so much !
    kanghee

• Pamela says:

Dear Kanghee,

Thanks for reading this blog. Dont worry too much about the phone, the school most likely help you and everyone in the October batch to buy a cellphone, to open a bank account, etc. I think you dont have to worry too much about it. Then a lot of students use Lebora or Yallo, or Swisscom if eventually they want to get internet in their Blackberries or Iphones, it depends on which rate is better for you, I dont know where you are from.. so I cant really reccommend which company has better prices to call your country, but dont worry about it.

Hope you have a great time at les Roches, if you need anything dont hesitate in contacting me. :)

• Christine says:

There are mobile networks called Orange…Lebara…Sunrise…swisscome…Lyca..

The cheapest ones are Lyca…Lebara…

But for People studying at Les Roches which are in the mountains…Swisscom might have better signals compared to the others…

2. Switzerland….Its really awesome place for travelling, and mine favorite too,
    Pictures are too nice.

Thanx for sharing !!

3. Joan says:

Dear Pamela,

I think your blog is a wonderful thing for new students as some of us, like me, don’t know anything about the lifestyle in Switzerland. I will be transferring there by January to journey into a new course by Les Roches; Culinary Business Management. and I can’t wait! I shall be tuning into your blog always to ready myself to go there. Thanks and keep writing!

Cheers,
    Joan

• Pamela says:

Dear Joan,

Glad to hear that this blog is of some help, please do not hesitate in asking any questions about the lifestyle here, actually it would be even helpful for me to receive questions or any remarks from students like you so that I can also check out some information useful for everyone new or prospective students and so I can write about it.

4. Felix Nguyen says:

Hi Pamela! I’m coming for this oct. intake. May I you something about the way of subjects organized? Usually there would be 5 subjects per term rite? so everyday these 5 subjects will be organized repeatedly for the same routine? and do we have sat off? I doappreciate your respond,
    Thanks a lot ;)

• Pamela says:

Dear Felix, sorry for the delay in answering but we having been in Midterm break, however it depends on your program but I am sure by now you have all the information. If anyone has the same question please provide info about the program that you are interested in or the program you will be taking.
      Thanks

5. Nathalie says:

Hola Pamela
    Happy you like Suiza. Mira, estoy tratando encontrar el mail de Marianita, soy la estudiante de practica de Suiza..Por fa me lo puedes mandar. Disfruta de tu experiencia Suiza. Hasta Luego

6. Pamela says:

Hola Natalie! Que bueno que has podido encontrarme.. He escrito muchas veces al email que tenia de ustedes 2 pero nunca recibi una respuesta… Por favor me puedes mandar un e-mail a gata151@msn.com? Para darle a mi madre tu correo electronico que ella me lo ha pedido muchas veces.. Espero que estes bien, te mando un abrazo.. saludos

7. Villa says:

wish i can travel to Switzerland also…would be great..

8. Spring Break says:

Nice pictures of Switzerland..Yes, Swiss handmade chocolates are really yummy…

9. booked says:

Hey Pamela, nice post! I also adore Switzerland. More of a rural traveler though.

10. Mike Green says:

Never been to Switzerland but this post make it like I’ve been there :) Just knowing Switzerland from Aspen as ski vacation. Is it Switzerland much alike Finland or different?

Regards,

Mike

11. Vivek Singh says:

Thanks For Sharing This!!
    I Decided to Visit Switzerland this month and Hope So this Will Help me..Thanks Again

12. Shivam says:

Never been to swiss but i think i will visit soon it looks amazing .