Vegan for a week challenge

on July 11 | in Student life | by Akila Waka | with No Comments

Being a foodie, I always try and keep up with the trends, especially all the new food challenges out there. After watching the Brothers Green Eats channel on YouTube feature a vegan challenge, I was inspired to try the challenge for myself.

Although I changed it up a bit,

my challenge was to see how veganism feels, how to cook everything from scratch, how my body changes, and how it affects people around me.

It was slightly easier for me because it is Ramadhan this month, so I only had to forage one meal a day. Ramadhan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar, and it’s when Muslims all over the world fast from sunrise to sunset to commemorate the first revelation of the Qur’an. I felt like this was the perfect time to try this challenge.
Here goes…

Day 1: Vegan steamed bao buns

Vegan1I made steamed bao buns with a barbeque mushroom and cauliflower filling and some pickled carrots. I went all out on this one because I was really hungry towards the end of the day. I was extremely tired after making the buns because they were time-consuming, but rewarding nonetheless.
After eating my meal, I did not feel dragged down or super full, which was great.

Day 2: Vegan Ramen

Vegan1After my steamed buns, I was not intensely hungry on day 2. I opted to make a veggie ramen. Extending the idea of making everything from scratch, I made homemade ramen noodles and the broth. I was again very tired because the noodles were time-consuming. The meal was very filling and satisfying.

Day 3: Lentil Bolognese

I used the leftover ramen noodle dough and made some spaghetti with lentil Bolognese. This day was easy for me because everything was already done, but I was starting to miss the bite of meat. The lentils’ shape did recreate the feel of minced meat, but as you chew, it disintegrates into a mush and the texture was just wrong. The meal was tasty nonetheless.

Day 4: Eating out

Vegan1So, I tried to eat out, because vegans don’t eat at home all the time! I had a sourdough roasted veggie sandwich. I found it to be quite pricy for a vegetable sandwich, but maybe that is just the case of the restaurant I was at. Although it was very tasty, I did feel like I was eating a salad with a slice of toast.

Day 5: Veggie Burger

Vegan1After the disappointing sandwich, I decided to make a veggie burger. I winged it and combined a few vegetables and herbs to form a patty and then I pan-fried it. It was great, but the texture was very mushy. I also made some sweet potato fries. Overall it was very filling and satisfying.

Day 6: Vegan sushi

Vegan1Out and about on the weekend with my family. They decided to have some sushi, so I opted for the veggie version. I was pleasantly surprised by the result. They were super yummy and filling.

Day 7: Vegan Food Fair SA

Vegan1I went out again because that’s what people normally do on the weekend. I found an event close by where everything was vegan and this was a great help. I had a cheese tasting, a seitan tasting and finally I had a vegan pulled pork sandwich made with jackfruit. For dessert, I had a vegan strawberry cheesecake popsicle, which was very delicious.

Overall impression:

•  From the first day, I was very conscious of what I was putting in my body. I read all the labels, asked questions about my food and mostly made my food from scratch.
  • I felt very lightweight all week, almost like I was flying. I was not peckish all day like I usually am. I didn’t want to snack on anything because all the meals were pretty filling.
  • I started to miss the texture of meat from day 3.
  • I was very creative when cooking. I got to try a lot of cool recipes that I was skeptical about trying before.
  • I am now knowledgeable about veganism and do not feel intimidated by vegan food or recipes.