les roches hospitality degree swiss hotel school student Alexandra Astruc travel and tourism Switzerland

What to do around Bluche Campus – A guide for newcomers

on October 27 | in Student life | by Alexandra Jourdan-Astruc | with No Comments

Alexandra Jourdan Astruc, BBA in International Hotel Management student, has been busy exploring Switzerland (well, and a bit of Germany) and gives us a whistle-stop tour of her first ports of call.

In 3 days’ time, we will have been at Les Roches for 2 months. I have found around me so much more than just a class. I have found a family to discover Switzerland with.

Being new to this beautiful country, I have taken advantage of the adventurous spirit of my new friends and have started discovering with them all the must-see places nearby.

Crans-Montana – Sierre – Sion

Once we were done with Panda (our local Chinese restaurant)  in Bluche and Crans-Montana, its lake and its Café 1900, we decided to go a little further.

We spent a lot of time in the neighboring towns of Sierre and Sion having coffee, eating and shopping. My top picks? Burger Lounge in Crans (delicious Swiss beef!) and Holycow in Sion – best places around for burger lovers!

Bluche7

For a bit of relaxation after a busy week on campus, there is nothing better than a break at Géronde Lake in Sierre.

Montreux

Our first true road trip was to Montreux, only one-hour drive from Bluche.

It was a sunny day and we enjoyed a walk around the lake and an amazing dinner with views to one of Europe’s biggest (and most beautiful) lakes, the Lake Léman.  Even the road from the mountains to the lake is breath taking.

Martigny

Our second road trip was to Martigny, a cute little town near by, where we spent an afternoon before going to Emosson Lake, on the top of the mountains. There, we saw our first Swiss snow fall, in August! We were freezing but we it was so beautiful, that we didn’t mind.

Rust, Europa Park

Our last and biggest road trip was to Rust, Germany. I know, I know… This is not Switzerland, but given that it’s so close by, I think it’s worth a mention.

With three of my friends we decided to go to Europa Park, one of the world’s leading theme parks. After 5 hours driving, due to the traffic, we finally got there in the evening. We booked a room in a Gästehause in Rust (Gästehaus Gertrud Metzger – good room, good breakfast, great value for money), and spent the day after from 9 am to 5 pm in the Park. We were told a lot about the Park and it did not live up to our expectations, but altogether we had a great time and I would be ready to leave tomorrow to do it all again.

Thanks to the amazing and changing landscape in Switzerland, I have discovered a passion for driving.  I can’t wait to continue hitting the road!